HOW TO APPLY
Please send your application between September 1-30 2017. Only applications sent on these dates will be considered.
OFFER: ASSISTANT MARKET GARDENER
We are hiring for the 2018 season. The position begins in April and will continue until December.
The work will be demanding both physically and mentally. Although we will never push our employees beyond their limits, we expect full dedication from our team. This position requires a full commitment, in order to ensure the proper functioning of the farm.
AMONG YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Propagation (direct seeding, transplants, grafts, etc.);
- Preventive management and control of weeds, pests, and pest diseases;
- Vegetable conditioning (washing, packaging, cold setting, delivery);
- Installation and dismantling of tunnels and greenhouses;
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL APPLICANT:
- Seeks to advance their agricultural knowledge with the aim of starting their own farming business in the next 2 years;
- Has a good level of experience in market gardening (1-2 seasons);
- Capacity for physical work under variable weather conditions;
- Ease of working independently and in teams;
- Attention to detail and work well done;
- Openness, willingness to live in cohabitation with colleagues
- Has a valid driver's license (not mandatory but considered an asset);
- Bilingual (French and English).
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The acquisition of plant production skills in a bio-intensive system;
- An overview of the challenges inherent in starting a diversified, small-scale organic farm;
- Experience in direct marketing and wholesale distribution;
- Development of communication and leadership skills;
- A good farmer's tan.
SUPPLEMENTARY EMPLOYMENT DETAILS:
- Seasonal full-time position (55 hours);
- Schedule is 8:00 am to 5:30 pm from Monday to Friday, including one unpaid hour for lunch and one weekend day for Farmer’s Markets in rotation with the other members of the team;
- The salary is $14.50 per hour;
- Statutory general holidays and non-working days with pay;
- Each employee will be entitled to 5 un-paid vacation days during the 2018 season, to be determined in consultation with the production manager.
- There is a 3 months probation period, starting at the hiring date.
ACCOMMODATION AND FOOD:
Shared accommodation will be provided to you in the village of Hemmingford. Transportation is the responsibility of the employee, however the distance is easily done by bike. You will have access to the excess vegetables from the farm and the kitchen will be stocked with essential foods (grains, legumes, pasta, oils, spices, etc). Any other purchase of food will be the responsibility of the employee.
Your application must include these 3 things, failing which it will not be accepted:
- A CV, including references that we will contact
- A short letter expressing your motivation for the position and your short, medium and long term aspirations
- A letter of recommendation from a seasoned farmer for whom you worked.
Successful applicants will be invited to work a few days at the farm in the fall to meet with the current team. If you are unable to come to the farm, your application will automatically be refused.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your application to the following e-mail address: email@example.com, from 1 to 30 September 2017. Only applications sent on these dates will be considered.