OFFER: ASSISTANT MARKET GARDENER
La Ferme des Quatre-Temps, an agricultural project located at the 740 Chemin Williams at Hemmingford, Québec (J0L 1H0), is hiring for the 2018 season.
The work will be demanding both physically and mentally. Although we will never push our employees beyond their limits, we expect full dedication from our team. This position requires a full commitment, in order to ensure the proper functioning of the farm.
AMONG YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Propagation (semi direct, transplants, etc.);
- Preparation of permanent beds;
- Biological fertilization (compost, natural soil conditioner, green manures);
- Irrigation management;
- Preventive management and control of weeds, pests, and phytosanitary diseases;
- Implementation and maintenance of greenhouse crops;
- Harvest, conditioning and storage of vegetables;
- Commercialization of vegetables for various point of sales (markets, retail, restaurants);
- Commercialization of the vegetables for the food baskets;
- Order preparation and delivery;
- Selling the farm products at various farm markets.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL APPLICANT:
- Seeks to advance their agricultural knowledge with the aim of starting their own farming business in the next 2 years;
- Has a good level of experience in market gardening (2 seasons or more);
- Experience in harvesting and conditioning for selling to markets, retail and restaurants (at least 1 season);
- Experience in greenhouse culture management and climate control (at least 1 season);
- Knowledge of sales and business development with clients (at least 1 year of experience);
- Capacity for physical work under variable weather conditions;
- Ease of working independently and in teams;
- Attention to detail and work well done;
- Openness, willingness to live in cohabitation with colleagues
- Has a valid driver's license;
- Bilingual (French and English).
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The acquisition of plant production skills in a bio-intensive system;
- An overview of the challenges inherent in starting a diversified, small-scale organic farm;
- Experience in direct marketing and semi-wholesale distribution;
- Development of communication and leadership skills;
- A good farmer's tan.
SUPPLEMENTARY EMPLOYMENT DETAILS:
- Seasonal full-time position (55 hours/week);
- Schedule is 8:00 am to 5:30 pm from Monday to Friday, including one unpaid hour for lunch and one weekend day for Farmer’s Markets in rotation with the other members of the team;
- The salary is $14.50 per hour;
- Statutory general holidays and non-working days with pay as provided by law;
- Each employee will be entitled to 5 un-paid vacation days during the 2018 season, to be determined in consultation with the production manager.
- There is a 3 months probation period, starting at the hiring date.
- Work location: La Ferme des Quatre-Temps, 740 chemin Williams, Hemmingford, Qc, J0L 1H0.
ACCOMMODATION AND FOOD:
Shared accommodation will be provided to you in the village of Hemmingford. Transportation is the responsibility of the employee, however the distance is easily done by bike. You will have access to the excess vegetables from the farm and the kitchen will be stocked with essential foods (grains, legumes, pasta, oils, spices, etc). Any other purchase of food will be the responsibility of the employee.
Your application must include these 3 things, failing which it will not be accepted:
- A CV, including references that we will contact
- A short letter expressing your motivation for the position and your short, medium and long term aspirations
- A letter of recommendation from a seasoned farmer for whom you worked.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your application to Chloé Trudeau, Director of La Ferme des Quatre-Temps, at: email@example.com
Or at the following postal address:
À l’attention de Chloé Trudeau
La Ferme des Quatre-Temps
740 chemin Williams
Hemmingford, Qc J0L 1H0